Review decision date: July 2014
This guideline will shortly be checked to see if it needs updating, please register as a stakeholder to be informed about the decision.
Next review date: September 2016
This clinical guideline updates and replaces NICE guideline CG13 (published April 2004). It offers evidence-based advice on the care of women who:
- have had a caesarean section in the past and are now pregnant again
- have a clinical indication for a caesarean section or
- are considering a caesarean section when there is no other indication.
New and updated recommendations have been included on:
- the risks and benefits of planned caesarean section compared with planned vaginal birth
- care of women considered at risk of a morbidly adherent placenta
- appropriate care and choices for women who are HIV positive
- care of women requesting a caesarean section without a clinical indication
- decision-to-delivery intervals to be used as audit standards
- timing of the administration of antibiotics for caesarean section
- appropriate care and choices for women who have previously had a caesarean section.
August 2012: Recommendations 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124 have been removed from this guideline. See changes after publication for further details.