Transmyocardial laser revascularisation for refractory angina pectoris (IPG301)
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) has issued full guidance to the NHS in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland on transmyocardial laser revascularisation for refractory angina pectoris. Full guidance has also been published on percutaneous laser revascularistion for refractory angina pectoris.
Patients with refractory angina pectoris have chest pain (because of insufficient oxygen delivery to their heart muscle) that cannot be controlled by optimal medical or surgical management. Transmyocardial laser revascularisation involves open heart surgery to drill holes on the heart muscle using a laser beam, with the aim of enabling blood flow from the heart chambers into the heart muscle, to relieve myocardial ischaemia and reduce chest pain.
K23.4 Revascularisation of wall of heart
Includes: Revascularisation of heart
Y08.5 Laser modification of organ NOC
Note: U20.2 Transoesophageal echocardiography is also assigned when transoesophageal echocardiography (TOE) is used during the procedure.
In addition a code from category I20.- Angina pectoris is assigned.
The NHS Classifications Service of NHS Connecting for Health is the central definitive source for clinical coding guidance and determines the coding standards associated with the classifications (OPCS-4 and ICD-10) to be used across the NHS. The NHS Classifications Service and NICE work collaboratively to ensure the most appropriate classification codes are provided. www.connectingforhealth.co.uk/clinicalcoding
- IPG301 Transmyocardial laser revascularisation for refractory angina pectoris: guidance (web format)
- Transmyocardial laser revascularisation for refractory angina pectoris(interventional procedures consultation)
- Systematic review of the efficacy and safety of transmyocardial and percutaneous laser revascularisation for refractory angina pectoris
- IPG301 Transmyocardial laser revascularisation for refractory angina pectoris: consultation comments
This page was last updated: 19 June 2012
- Web format
- Full Guidance (PDF)
- IPG301 Trin angina gan ddefnyddio dyfais laser a osodir trwy doriad yn y frest a'i roi ar du allan wal y galon: deall canllawiau NICE (fformat MS Word)
Information for the public
Implementation tools and resources
- None available
See this guidance in practice
The summary of the key recommendations in the guidance written for patients, carers and those with little medical knowledge and may be used in local patient information leaflets.
Quick Reference Guide
The quick reference guide presents recommendations for health profess