Cardiovascular disease - statins (TA94)
Statins for the prevention of cardiovascular events in patients at increased risk of developing cardiovascular disease or those with established cardiovascular disease
This guidance relates only to the initiation of statin therapy in adults with clinical evidence of cardiovascular disease (CVD) and in adults considered to be at risk of CVD. It assumes that other strategies for managing CVD risk are being appropriately considered when initiating statin therapy. The guidance does not include specific advice for genetic dyslipidaemias (for example, familial hypercholesterolaemia). The guidance relates only to the use of statins within their licensed indications.
A clinical guideline (CG67) on cardiovascular risk assessment has been published.
- Cardiovascular disease - statins: review decison - October 2011
- Cardiovascular disease - statins: review proposal - July 2011
- Review decision - April 2009
- Review decision: April 2009 - table of comments
- TA94 Cardiovascular disease - statins: distribution list
- NICE guidance on the use of statins set to benefit millions of adults
- Review proposal: January 2009
This page was last updated: 10 October 2011
Information for the public
Implementation tools and resources
See this guidance in practice
The summary of the key recommendations in the guidance written for patients, carers and those with little medical knowledge and may be used in local patient information leaflets.
Quick Reference Guide
The quick reference guide presents recommendations for health professionals
The published NICE clinical guidance, contains the recommendations for health professionals and NHS bodies.
The published full clinical guidance for specialists with background, evidence, recommendations and methods used.