Find out more about smartphone and tablet applications developed by NICE to help users find information and guidance on the move.
The NICE BNF and BNFC apps
The NICE British National Formulary (BNF) and NICE British National Formulary for Children (BNFC) apps have been developed to provide easy access to the latest up-to-date prescribing information from the most widely-used medicines information resources within the NHS.
Both the BNF and BNFC apps are available to download for free by health and social care professionals who work for or who are contracted by the NHS in England, Scotland and Wales.
To use the NICE BNF and NICE BNFC apps for the first time and to activate any content updates, users will need to enter their NHS OpenAthens user name and password.
Eligible professionals in England who do not yet have an NHS OpenAthens password can register for free online or directly from their smartphone by following the instructions displayed in the apple app Store and Google Play Store.
Eligible professionals in Wales who do not yet have an NHS OpenAthens password can register for free online or directly from their smartphone by following the instructions displayed in the apple app Store and Google Play Store
Eligible professionals in Scotland who do not yet have an NHS OpenAthens password can register for free online or directly from their smartphone by following the instructions displayed in the apple app Store and Google Play Store.
Browse and search the complete up-to-date content from the British National Formulary (BNF) and British National Formulary for Children (BNFC) on your smartphone or tablet. Features include:
- Information and advice on the drug management of common conditions
- Details of medicines prescribed within the UK with reference to their uses, cautions, contra-indications, side-effects, doses and relative costs
- Advice on prescribing, monitoring, dispensing and administering medicines
- Search for drugs by name using the auto-complete search
- Receive notifications when new editions or updates are available
- Bookmark content for easy access
- Once downloaded and activated, the apps do not rely on a network connection and will provide direct offline access to the latest version of the BNF and BNFC.
The NICE Guidance app
NICE has developed a mobile app that allows users to access NICE guidance from their smartphone.
If you use an Android or iPhone smartphone you can download the free app, which will give you offline access to all of NICE's guidance products, organised by clinical or public health topic.
In response to demand from clinicians and other users of NICE guidance, the app allows you to search, browse and explore all of NICE's current guidance within one handy app. Although not optimised, the app can also be used on the iPad and other tablet devices.
For the first time, you can access guidance from NICE whilst on the move through NICE’s new, official app. It is aimed at doctors, nurses, medical students and other healthcare professionals, as well as those with public health responsibilities, including in local government.
- Browse over 760 items (7000+ chapters) of NICE guidance. Guidance is arranged topically by conditions and diseases, and public health topics
- Rapidly search all NICE Guidance on your smartphone
- Select full guidance documents or selections of individual chapters from guidance documents, bookmark individual sections of guidance chapters for use as offline reference on your smartphone
- Adjust the font size; alter the colour presentation of the text; ‘swipe' from chapter to chapter when reading guidance.
- Automatically receive updates and new guidance as soon as it's published on the NICE website.