Chronic kidney disease (CG73)
Fast, easy summary view of NICE guidance on 'acute kidney injury'
Fast, easy summary view of NICE guidance on 'chronic kidney disease'
Early identification and management of chronic kidney disease in adults in primary and secondary care
The advice in the NICE guideline covers:
- the tests doctors should use to diagnose long-term kidney problems (chronic kidney disease)
- the best treatment and care for adults diagnosed with chronic kidney disease, and when they should be referred to specialist renal services
- the general management of chronic kidney disease from a variety of causes including diabetes, high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease.
It does not specifically look at the care of:
- children (aged under 16 years)
- people receiving kidney dialysis or who have had a kidney transplant
- pregnant women with chronic kidney disease
- people with short-lasting damage to their kidneys.
- CG73 Chronic kidney disease: full guideline evidence tables
- CG73 Chronic kidney disease: full guideline appendices
- CG73 Chronic kidney disease: NICE guideline (web format)
This guidance has been incorporated into the following NICE Pathways, along with other related guidance and products.
This page was last updated: 06 March 2014
- Web format
- Quick reference guide (PDF)
- NICE Guideline (PDF)
- Full Guideline (PDF)
- CG73 Nodi a thrin problemau hirdymor gyda'r arennau (clefyd cronig yr arennau): deall canllawiau NICE (fformat MS Word)
Information for the public
Review decision date: December 2011
This guideline is currently being updated. Further information can be found on the Chronic kidney disease (update) page.
Next review date: July 2014
Implementation tools and resources
- Audit support
- Costing report
- Costing template
- Guide to resources
- Slide set
- Chronic kidney disease: online educational tool
See this guidance in practice
The summary of the key recommendations in the guidance written for patients, carers and those with little medical knowledge and may be used in local patient information leaflets.
Quick Reference Guide
The quick reference guide presents recommendations for health professionals
The published NICE clinical guideline, contains the recommendations for health professionals and NHS bodies.
The published full clinical guideline for specialists with background, evidence, recommendations and methods used.