The NICE clinical guideline on type 2 diabetes – footcare makes recommendations about:
- educating people with type 2 diabetes and carers about foot problems
- what is meant by being ‘at risk? of foot problems and how people at risk are identified
- prevention of foot problems
- detection of foot problems
- care for people with type 2 diabetes who have foot problems
The NICE guideline does not cover the care of people with foot problems who do not have type 2 diabetes, nor does it cover surgical procedures such as amputation or rehabilitation after amputation.
Units for reporting HbA1c have changed from % to mmol/mol since this guideline was published. The NICE Pathway on diabetes has been changed to reflect this. The guideline is being updated and the new version (to be published in 2015) will use mmol/mol.