Chronic heart failure (CG108)
Fast, easy summary view of NICE guidance on 'chronic heart failure'
Specific, concise statements that act as markers of high-quality, cost-effective patient care
This clinical guideline updates and replaces NICE clinical guideline 5 (published July 2003).
It offers evidence-based advice on the care and treatment of people with chronic heart failure. New and updated recommendations are included on diagnosis, pharmacological treatment, monitoring and rehabilitation.
This guidance has been incorporated into the following NICE Pathways, along with other related guidance and products.
Visit the NICE Pathway: chronic heart failure
This page was last updated: 06 March 2014
- Web format
- Quick reference guide (PDF)
- NICE Guideline
- Full Guideline
- Methiant cronig y galon: deall canllawiau NICE (fformat MS Word)
Information for the public
Implementation tools and resources
- Audit support
- Baseline assessment tool
- Clinical case scenarios
- Costing report
- Costing template
- Educational resource
- Electronic audit tool
- Slide set
- Services for people with chronic heart failure commissioning guide
- Cadiac rehabilitation services commisioning guide
- CG108 Chronic heart failure: use of scenario simulation in the introduction of serum natriuretic peptide
- Chronic heart failure: online educational tool
- QIPP Case Study: Home administration of intravenous diuretics to heart failure patients
See this guidance in practice
The summary of the key recommendations in the guidance written for patients, carers and those with little medical knowledge and may be used in local patient information leaflets.
Quick Reference Guide
The quick reference guide presents recommendations for health professionals
The published NICE clinical guideline, contains the recommendations for health professionals and NHS bodies.
The published full clinical guideline for specialists with background, evidence, recommendations and methods used.