The advice in the NICE guideline covers:
- the tests doctors should use to diagnose long-term kidney problems (chronic kidney disease)
- the best treatment and care for adults diagnosed with chronic kidney disease, and when they should be referred to specialist renal services
- the general management of chronic kidney disease from a variety of causes including diabetes, high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease.
It does not specifically look at the care of:
- children (aged under 16 years)
- people receiving kidney dialysis or who have had a kidney transplant
- pregnant women with chronic kidney disease
- people with short-lasting damage to their kidneys.