The advice in the NICE guideline covers the diagnosis, treatment and care of:
- adults (18 years and over) with a diagnosis of the condition known as 'chronic open angle glaucoma'
- adults with a diagnosis of ocular hypertension (raised eye pressure)
- adults who are at a high risk of developing glaucoma.
It does not specifically look at the treatment and care of:
- people under 18 years
- people with secondary glaucoma (glaucoma that is caused by other eye conditions, such as injury or inflammation)
- people with, or at risk of, types of glaucoma known as 'angle closure glaucoma (primary or secondary)' or acute glaucoma
- adults who have had glaucoma since birth or childhood.