Venous thromboembolism - reducing the risk (CG92)
Fast, easy summary view of NICE guidance on 'venous thromboembolism'
Specific, concise statements that act as markers of high-quality, cost-effective patient care
Reducing the risk of venous thromboembolism (deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism) in patients admitted to hospital
This guidance is about the care and treatment of people who are at risk of developing deep vein thrombosis (DVT) while in hospital in the NHS in England and Wales. It should be read in conjunction with technology appraisal 245 (published in January 2012).
This guidance updates and replaces NICE clinical guideline 46 (published in April 2007).
The advice in the NICE guideline covers the care and treatment that should be offered to:
- all adults (aged 18 and over) who are admitted to hospital as inpatients (including those admitted for day-case procedures).
It does not cover the care and treatment that should be offered to:
- people under the age of 18
- people attending hospital as outpatients
- people attending emergency departments who are not admitted to hospital
- older people who are cared for at home or in residential care homes
- people who are immobile and are cared for at home or in residential care homes
- people who are admitted to hospital because they have a diagnosis or signs and symptoms of DVT or pulmonary embolism.
- Venous thromboembolism prevention quality standard
- CG92 Venous thromboembolism - reducing the risk: guidance (web format)
This guidance has been incorporated into the following NICE Pathways, along with other related guidance and products.
Visit the NICE Pathway: venous thromboembolism
This page was last updated: 10 February 2014
Information for the public
Review decision date: August 2013
Following the recent surveillance review decision, a rapid update of this guideline will be scheduled into the work programme. Details of the update will be available on the guidelines in development webpage.
Next review date: June 2014
Implementation tools and resources
- Audit support
- Baseline assessment tool
- Slide set
- Online learning resource (Kings Thrombosis Centre)
- Online learning resource (Royal College of Nursing)
- CG92 Venous thromboembolism - reducing the risk: online educational tool
- CG92 Venous thromboembolism - reducing the risk: guide to resources
See this guidance in practice
The summary of the key recommendations in the guidance written for patients, carers and those with little medical knowledge and may be used in local patient information leaflets.
Quick Reference Guide
The quick reference guide presents recommendations for health professionals
The published NICE clinical guideline, contains the recommendations for health professionals and NHS bodies.
The published full clinical guideline for specialists with background, evidence, recommendations and methods used.