NICE has issued guidance on how healthcare services for people with sarcoma should be organised. The guidance recommends which healthcare professionals should be involved in treatment and care, and the types of hospital or cancer centre that are best suited to provide that healthcare.
The key recommendations are:
- Prompt referral for expert diagnosis is crucial
- People should be treated by a specialist multidisciplinary team
- Treatment should be carried out by specialists
- Appropriate support and rehabilitation services should be available to people who are disabled by treatment for sarcoma
- All sarcoma teams should collect data on treatment and care, and take part in training programmes and audits.