Prevention of cardiovascular disease (PH25)
Fast, easy summary view of NICE guidance on 'diet'
Fast, easy summary view of NICE guidance on 'physical activity'
The guidance is for government, the NHS, local authorities, industry and all those whose actions influence the population’s cardiovascular health (that is, can help keep people’s hearts healthy and prevent strokes).
This includes commissioners, managers and practitioners working in local authorities and the wider public, private, voluntary and community sectors.
It may also be of interest to members of the public.
The guidance comprises two sets of recommendations aimed at national policy makers and local practitioners respectively.
Recommendations 1 to 12 outline a national framework for action. They break new ground for NICE by focusing on legislative, regulatory and voluntary changes – including further development of existing policies. Topics covered include:
- How to reduce the nation’s consumption of salt, saturated fats and trans fats
- How to ensure food marketing and promotions aimed at children and young people do not encourage them to consume high levels of salt, saturated fats and trans fats
- Commercial interests
- Food product labelling
- The European Union’s common agricultural policy
- Public sector catering guidelines
- Advice on take-aways and other food outlets.
The recommendations for practice mainly focus on how to plan, develop and run effective regional CVD prevention programmes (recommendations 13–18). Other topics covered include:
- Children and young people
- Public sector food provision
- Physical activity
- Health impact assessments of regional and local plans and policies
- Take-aways and other food outlets
- Nutrition training for catering managers.
This guidance has been incorporated into the following NICE Pathways, along with other related guidance and products.
This page was last updated: 06 March 2014
Implementation tools and resources
- Costing report
- Costing template
- Slide set
- Integrated commissioning for the prevention of cardiovascular disease commissoning guide
- PH25 prevention of cardiovascular disease: self-assessment tool
See this guidance in practice
The summary of the key recommendations in the guidance written for patients, carers and those with little medical knowledge and may be used in local patient information leaflets.
Quick Reference Guide
The quick reference guide presents recommendations for health professionals
The published NICE clinical guidance, contains the recommendations for health professionals and NHS bodies.
The published full clinical guidance for specialists with background, evidence, recommendations and methods used.