Next review date: None – The new guideline CG117 will supersede PH37, and be considered for update in October 2017.
This guidance aims to improve the way tuberculosis (TB) among hard-to-reach groups is identified and managed. It is for commissioners and providers of TB services and other statutory and voluntary organisations that work with hard-to-reach groups.
The main groups considered were:
- people who are homeless
- substance misusers
- vulnerable migrants.
The recommendations cover:
- strategic oversight and commissioning of TB prevention and control activities
- raising and sustaining awareness of TB among health professionals and those working with hard-to-reach groups – and among the hard-to-reach groups themselves
- local needs assessment
- cohort review
- commissioning multidisciplinary TB support
- identifying and managing TB (including contact investigations)
- rapid-access TB services and enhanced case management
- the provision of accommodation during treatment.