Lipid modification (CG67)
Specific, concise statements that act as markers of high-quality, cost-effective patient care
Cardiovascular risk assessment and the modification of blood lipids for the primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease
This guideline covers:
- Adults at higher risk of heart disease, stroke or peripheral arterial disease (cardiovascular disease). Risk of cardiovascular disease increases with age, as well as in people who smoke or who have high blood pressure or high cholesterol. People with heart disease in the family or men with a South Asian (for example, Indian, Pakistani or Bangladeshi) background are also at higher risk.
- People who have already had a heart attack, stroke or 'mini-stroke' (transient ischaemic attack or TIA).
- People who have angina or some other forms of cardiovascular disease.
The guideline doesn't cover everyone who is at increased risk of cardiovascular disease. This guideline does not include people with diabetes, those with major genetic causes of high cholesterol (familial hypercholesterolaemia) or people with chronic kidney disease, who are also at higher risk.
Responsibility for undertaking a review of this guidance at the designated review date has passed to the National Clinical Guidelines Centre for Acute and Chronic Conditions (NCGCACC). The National Collaborating Centre for Primary Care is no longer active.
In February 2010 NICE Guidance Executive agreed to withdraw the recommendation that the Framingham risk equation should be the equation of choice for assessment of CVD risk, but agreed that it should be one of the possible equations to use. Recommendations relating specifically to the use and modification of the Framingham risk equation have been moved to appendix D of the NICE guideline and page 13 of the quick reference guide. Consider these recommendations when using the Framingham risk equation for assessment of CVD risk.
- CG67 Lipid modification: NICE guideline (web format)
- CG67 Lipid modification: guideline appendices A-C
- CG67 Lipid modification: guideline appendix D
- CG67 Lipid modification: guideline appendices E-J
- CG67 Lipid modification: guideline appendix K
- CG67 Lipid modification: guideline appendix L
This page was last updated: 06 March 2014
Information for the public
Consultation on review proposal with stakeholders: 03 August 2011 - 24 August 2011
The November review decision replaces the original decision document published on 14 October 2011. This document has been updated to consider three stakeholder comments which had been missed from the original publication. It also removes an inaccuracy raised by one of our stakeholders
This guideline is currently being updated. Further information can be found on the Lipid modification (update) page.
Implementation tools and resources
- Audit support
- Costing report
- Costing template
- Slide set
- Integrated commissioning for the prevention of cardiovascular disease commisioning guide
See this guidance in practice
The summary of the key recommendations in the guidance written for patients, carers and those with little medical knowledge and may be used in local patient information leaflets.
Quick Reference Guide
The quick reference guide presents recommendations for health professionals
The published NICE clinical guideline, contains the recommendations for health professionals and NHS bodies.
The published full clinical guideline for specialists with background, evidence, recommendations and methods used.