This guidance is for GPs and other professionals working in local health services – in primary care trusts (PCTs), pharmacies and dental practices – and NHS hospitals.
The recommendations include the following advice:
- Ask people who smoke how interested they are in quitting.
- If they want to stop, refer them to an intensive support service such as NHS Stop Smoking Services.
- If they are unwilling or unable to accept a referral, offer a stop smoking aid (pharmacotherapy).
- A range of NHS agencies should offer advice and support on how to stop smoking.
- Monitoring systems should be set up so that health professionals know whether or not their patients smoke.