Heart failure service for the management of chronic heart failure
This commissioning guide provides support for the local implementation of NICE clinical guidelines through commissioning, and is a resource to help health professionals in England to commission an effective heart failure service for the management of chronic heart failure. This guide provides advice on commissioning services for the general diagnosis and treatment of chronic heart failure. While it is recognised that screening and prevention are important issues, these fall outside the scope of this commissioning guide, as do interventional procedures.
This commissioning guide should be read in conjunction with the following NICE guidance:
- NICE clinical guideline CG108 ‘Chronic heart failure: management of chronic heart failure in adults in primary and secondary care´
The clinical guideline covers clinical and cost effectiveness in detail and underpins the content of this guide.
- makes the case for commissioning a heart failure service for the management of chronic heart failure
- specifies service requirements
- helps you determine local service levels
- helps you ensure corporate and quality assurance.
The full text of this commissioning guide is accessed from the navigation menu on the right hand side of the screen. The associated commissioning tool is available until 25 June 2010 to primary care organisations in England who are already registered to use the tool. New registrations for the existing commissioning tool will not be possible after 31 March 2010.
From 1 April 2010 the new freely available commissioning and benchmarking tool can be downloaded here. There is no need to register.
We are keen to improve the commissioning guides in order to better meet the needs of commissioners. Please send us your ideas for future topic-specific guides or other comments.
Read the NICE disclaimer for information on the use and accuracy of content on the NICE website.
This page was last updated: 15 August 2012
- Heart failure service
- Commissioning a heart failure service for the management of chronic heart failure
- Specifying a heart failure service for the management of chronic heart failure
- Determining local service levels for a heart failure service for the management of chronic heart failure
- Assumptions used in estimating a population benchmark
- The commissioning and benchmarking tool
- Ensuring corporate and quality assurance