Determining local service levels for an insulin pump therapy service
Benchmarks for a standard population
Available data suggest that the standard benchmark rate for the uptake of insulin pump therapy is 12.4% of people with type 1 diabetes, which equates to 0.053% of the England population or 53 per 100,000 population.
This assumes an uptake of insulin pump therapy of
- 33% of type I diabetes population aged under 12 years of age, which equates to 0.03% or 33 per 100,000 population.
- 12% of type I diabetes population aged 12 years or over, which equates to 0.06% or 60 per 100,000 population.
Use the insulin pump therapy service commissioning and benchmarking tool to determine the level of service that might be needed locally and to calculate the cost of commissioning the service using the indicative benchmark and/or your own local data.
Sources of further information to help you in assessing local health needs and reducing health inequalities include:
- National Diabetes Information Service (NDIS), where you can find a comprehensive range of diabetes data, tools and information via one web portal
- NHS Evidence is a service that enables access to authoritative clinical and non-clinical evidence and best practice through a web-based portal.
- NHS IC Indicator Portal website gathers together a number of health and social care indicators.
- NHS Atlas of Variation 2011covers 71 indicators and 15 Programme Budget categories
- NHS Comparators provides comparator data for NHS commissioning and provider organisations to enable users to investigate aspects of local activity, costs and outcomes
- The Disease management information toolkit (DMIT) is a good-practice tool for decision-makers, commissioners and deliverers of care for people with long-term conditions
- Disease prevalence models produced by the Association of Public Health Observatories provides primary care trust-level prevalence estimates by topic. (including diabetes)
- The Diabetes Community Health Profiles bring together a wide range of data on diabetes in adults into a single source for the purposes of benchmarking. The tool allows you to download a diabetes profile for each PCT in England.
This page was last updated: 03 April 2012
- Insulin pump therapy service
- Commissioning an insulin pump therapy service
- Specifying an insulin pump therapy service
- Determining local service levels for an insulin pump therapy service
- Assumptions used in estimating a population benchmark
- The commissioning and benchmarking tool
- Ensuring corporate and quality assurance