Insulin pump therapy service
This commissioning guide provides support for the local implementation of NICE guidance through commissioning, and is a resource to help health professionals in England to commission an effective insulin pump therapy service.
This commissioning guide should be read in conjunction with the following NICE guidance:
- NICE technology appraisal TA151. Continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion for the treatment of diabetes mellitus.
- NICE quality standard for diabetes in adults
Core standard C5 in Standards for better health states that healthcare organisations should ensure they conform to NICE technology appraisals. Since January 2002, the NHS in England and Wales has been legally obliged to provide funding and resources for medicines and treatments that have been recommended by NICE technology appraisals within 3 months of publication of the guidance, unless otherwise instructed by the Secretary of State.
This NICE guidance covers clinical and cost effectiveness in detail and underpins the content of this guide. Implementation of the guidance noted above is the responsibility of local commissioners and/or providers. Commissioners and providers are reminded that it is their responsibility to implement this guidance, in their local context, in light of their duties to avoid unlawful discrimination and to have regard to promoting equality of opportunity. Nothing in the guidance should be interpreted in a way which would be inconsistent with compliance with those duties.
- makes the case for commissioning an insulin pump therapy service
- specifies service requirements
- helps you determine local service levels
- helps you ensure corporate and quality assurance.
The full text of this commissioning guide can be downloaded or accessed from the navigation menu on the right hand side of the screen. Download the openly available commissioning and benchmarking tool, there is no need to register.
We are keen to improve the commissioning guides in order to better meet the needs of commissioners. Please send us your ideas for future topic-specific guides or other comments.
Read the NICE disclaimer link to NICE disclaimer for information on the use and accuracy of content on the NICE website.
- Topic-specific Advisory Group: insulin pump therapy service - updated in March 2012
This page was last updated: 03 April 2012
- Insulin pump therapy service
- Commissioning an insulin pump therapy service
- Specifying an insulin pump therapy service
- Determining local service levels for an insulin pump therapy service
- Assumptions used in estimating a population benchmark
- The commissioning and benchmarking tool
- Ensuring corporate and quality assurance