Service for the surgical management of otitis media with effusion in children
- Service for the surgical management of otitis media with effusion in children commissing guide (PDF format)
This commissioning guide provides support for the local implementation of NICE clinical guidelines through commissioning, and is a resource to help health professionals in England to commission an effective service for the surgical management of otitis media with effusion (OME) in children.
The guide focuses on the surgical management of OME in children under the age of 12 years, including children with Down's syndrome or cleft palate. The management of OME in children with other syndromes (for example, craniofacial dysmorphism or polysaccharide storage disease) and in children with multiple complex needs is outside the scope of this guide.
This commissioning guide should be read in conjunction with the following NICE guidance:
The clinical guideline covers clinical and cost effectiveness in detail and underpins the content of this guide. Implementation of the guidance noted above is the responsibility of local commissioners and/or providers. Commissioners and providers are reminded that it is their responsibility to implement this guidance, in their local context, in light of their duties to avoid unlawful discrimination and to have regard to promoting equality of opportunity. Nothing in the guidance should be interpreted in a way which would be inconsistent with compliance with those duties.
- makes the case for commissioning a service for the surgical management of OME
- specifies service requirements
- helps you determine local service levels
- helps you ensure corporate and quality assurance.
The full text of this commissioning guide can be downloaded or accessed from the navigation menu on the right hand side of the screen. Download the openly available commissioning and benchmarking tool, there is no need to register.
We are keen to improve the commissioning guides in order to better meet the needs of commissioners. Please send us your ideas for future topic-specific guides or other email@example.com
Read the NICE disclaimer for information on the use and accuracy of content on the NICE website.
Published December 2008
This page was last updated: 02 March 2012
- Service for the surgical management of OME
- Commissioning a service for the surgical management of otitis media with effusion in children
- Specifying a service for the surgical management of otitis media with effusion in children
- Determining local service levels for the surgical management of otitis media with effusion in children
- Assumptions used in estimating a population benchmark
- The commissioning and benchmarking tool
- Ensuring corporate and quality assurance