Service for the treatment and management of schizophrenia in adults
- Service for the treatment and management of schizophrenia in adults commissioning guide (PDF format)
This commissioning guide provides support for the local implementation of NICE clinical guidelines through commissioning, and is a resource to help health and social care professionals in England to commission an effective service for the treatment and management of schizophrenia in adults (18 years and over) with an established diagnosis of schizophrenia with onset before age 60. The schizophrenia guideline does not address the specific treatment of young people under the age of 18, except those who are receiving treatment and support from early intervention services.
Commissioning a comprehensive range of interventions, including services that promote recovery for people with schizophrenia, needs effective joint commissioning between primary care trusts (PCTs) and local authorities to ensure integrated partnership working across the NHS, social care, housing sector, not-for-profit and private sector organisations.
This commissioning guide should be read together with the following NICE guidance:
- NICE clinical guideline CG82. Schizophrenia: core interventions in the treatment and management of schizophrenia in adults in primary and secondary care.
The clinical guideline covers clinical and cost effectiveness in detail and underpins the content of this guide. Implementation of the guidance noted above is the responsibility of local commissioners and/or providers. Commissioners and providers are reminded that it is their responsibility to implement this guidance, in their local context, in light of their duties to avoid unlawful discrimination and to have regard to promoting equality of opportunity. Nothing in the guidance should be interpreted in a way which would be inconsistent with compliance with those duties.
- makes the case for commissioning a schizophrenia service
- specifies service requirements
- helps you determine local service levels
- helps you ensure corporate and quality assurance.
The full text of this commissioning guide can be downloaded or accessed from the navigation menu on the right hand side of the screen. Download the openly available commissioning and benchmarking tool, there is no need to register.
We are keen to improve the commissioning guides in order to better meet the needs of commissioners. Please send us your ideas for future topic-specific guides or other comments.
Read the NICE disclaimer for information on the use and accuracy of content on the NICE website.
This page was last updated: 02 March 2012
- Service for the treatment and management of schizophrenia in adults
- Commissioning a service for the treatment and management of schizophrenia in adults
- Specifying a schizophrenia service
- Determining local service levels for a service for the treatment and management of schizophrenia in adults
- Assumptions used in estimating a population benchmark
- The commissioning and benchmarking tool
- Ensuring corporate and quality assurance