Smoking cessation service for people having elective surgery
This commissioning guide provides support for the local implementation of NICE guidance through commissioning, and is a resource to help health professionals in England to commission an effective smoking cessation service for people having elective surgery. However, commissioners should also consider the needs of patients having emergency surgery and non surgical patients admitted to hospital. Depending on local service provision the needs of pregnant women having surgery may also need to be reviewed.
This commissioning guide should be read in conjunction with the following NICE guidance:
- NICE public health guidance PH10. Smoking cessation services in primary care, pharmacies, local authorities and workplaces, particularly for manual working groups, pregnant women and hard to reach communities
- NICE public health guidance PH6. Behaviour change at population, community and individual levels
- NICE public health guidance PH1. Brief interventions and referral for smoking cessation in primary care and other settings
- NICE technology appraisal TA123. Varenicline for smoking cessation.
The guidance covers clinical and cost effectiveness in detail and underpins the content of this guide. Implementation of the guidance noted above is the responsibility of local commissioners and/or providers. Commissioners and providers are reminded that it is their responsibility to implement this guidance, in their local context, in light of their duties to avoid unlawful discrimination and to have regard to promoting equality of opportunity. Nothing in the guidance should be interpreted in a way which would be inconsistent with compliance with those duties.
- makes the case for commissioning a smoking cessation service for people having elective surgery
- specifies service requirements
- helps you determine local service levels
- helps you ensure corporate and quality assurance.
The full text of this commissioning guide can be downloaded or accessed from the navigation menu on the right hand side of the screen. Download the openly available commissioning and benchmarking tool, there is no need to register.
We are keen to improve the commissioning guides in order to better meet the needs of commissioners. Please send us your ideas for future topic-specific guides or other comments.
Read the NICE disclaimerlink to NICE disclaimer for information on the use and accuracy of content on the NICE website.
This page was last updated: 02 March 2012
- Smoking cessation service for people having elective surgery
- Commissioning a smoking cessation service for people having elective surgery
- Specifying a smoking cessation service for people having elective surgery
- Determining local service levels for a smoking cessation service for people having elective surgery
- Assumptions used in estimating a population benchmark
- The commissioning and benchmarking tool
- Ensuring corporate and quality assurance