Service for the diagnosis and initial management of transient ischaemic attack and non-disabling stroke
This commissioning guide provides support for the local implementation of NICE clinical guidelines through commissioning, and is a resource to help health professionals in England to commission an effective service for the diagnosis and initial management of transient ischaemic attack (TIA) and non-disabling stroke. The indicative benchmark and associated commissioning and benchmarking tool are designed to support commissioners who are planning services for carotid endarterectomy procedures as part of a TIA service.
This commissioning guide should be read in conjunction with the following NICE guidance:
- NICE clinical guideline CG68. Stroke: diagnosis and initial management of acute stroke and transient ischaemic attack.
The clinical guideline covers clinical and cost effectiveness in detail and underpins the content of this guide. Implementation of the guidance noted above is the responsibility of local commissioners and/or providers. Commissioners and providers are reminded that it is their responsibility to implement this guidance, in their local context, in light of their duties to avoid unlawful discrimination and to have regard to promoting equality of opportunity. Nothing in the guidance should be interpreted in a way which would be inconsistent with compliance with those duties.
The NICE guideline should also be read with the Department of Health National Stroke Strategy. Commissioners may also wish to refer to the NICE commissioning guide on a service for the diagnosis and initial management of acute stroke and the NICE commissioning guide on an Anticoagulation therapy service when reviewing or redesigning stroke services.
- makes the case for commissioning a TIA service
- specifies service requirements
- helps you determine local service levels
- helps you ensure corporate and quality assurance.
The full text of this commissioning guide can be downloaded or accessed from the navigation menu on the right hand side of the screen. Download the openly available commissioning and benchmarking tool, there is no need to register.
We are keen to improve the commissioning guides in order to better meet the needs of commissioners. Please send us your ideas for future topic-specific guides or other comments. email@example.com
Read the NICE disclaimer for information on the use and accuracy of content on the NICE website.
This page was last updated: 02 March 2012
- TIA service
- Commissioning a service for the diagnosis and initial management of transient ischaemic attack and non-disabling stroke
- Specifying a service for the diagnosis and initial management of transient ischaemic attack and non-disabling stroke
- Determining local service levels for a service for the diagnosis and initial management of transient ischaemic attack and non-disabling stroke
- Assumptions used in estimating a population benchmark
- The commissioning and benchmarking tool
- Ensuring corporate and quality assurance