Patient education programme for people with type 2 diabetes
This commissioning guide provides support for the local implementation of NICE clinical guidelines through commissioning, and is a resource to help health professionals in England to commission an effective, structured patient education programme for people with type 2 diabetes. This guide focuses mainly on services for people newly diagnosed but organisations will also need to consider the education needs in the established population of people with type 2 diabetes. However, it is likely that these needs, and hence service costs, are different.
The focus of this commissioning guide for patient education in type 2 diabetes does not imply that improved commissioning and provision of patient education services for people with type 1 diabetes and in other special groups, such as diabetes in pregnancy, is not needed or important. Review of these areas together with relevant NICE guidance remains vital and will be of interest to commissioners and providers of clinical and educational services in diabetes.
This commissioning guide should be read in conjunction with the following NICE guidance:
- NICE clinical guideline CG87 on type 2 diabetes - newer agents (a partial update of CG66).
- NICE quality standard for diabetes in adults
The clinical guideline covers clinical and cost effectiveness in detail and underpins the content of this guide. Implementation of the guidance noted above is the responsibility of local commissioners and/or providers. Commissioners and providers are reminded that it is their responsibility to implement this guidance, in their local context, in light of their duties to avoid unlawful discrimination and to have regard to promoting equality of opportunity. Nothing in the guidance should be interpreted in a way which would be inconsistent with compliance with those duties.
- makes the case for commissioning a patient education programme in diabetes
- specifies service requirements
- helps you determine local service levels
- helps you ensure corporate and quality assurance.
The full text of this commissioning guide can be downloaded or accessed from the navigation menu on the right hand side of the screen. Download the openly available commissioning and benchmarking tool, there is no need to register.
We are keen to improve the commissioning guides in order to better meet the needs of commissioners. Please send us your ideas for future topic-specific guides or other comments. firstname.lastname@example.org
Read the NICE disclaimer for information on the use and accuracy of content on the NICE website.
- Topic-specific Advisory Group: patient education programme in diabetes - updated March 2012
This page was last updated: 03 April 2012
- Patient education programme for people with type 2 diabetes
- Commissioning a patient education programme for people with type 2 diabetes
- Specifying a patient education programme for people with type 2 diabetes
- Determining local service levels for a patient education programme for people with type 2 diabetes
- Assumptions used in estimating a population benchmark
- The commissioning tool
- Ensuring corporate quality assurance