'Referral advice' recommendation details
Source guidance details
- In patients with low back pain consider, referral for specialist assessment for people who may require prolonged use of strong opioids.
- Only offer a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan for non-specific low back pain within the context of a referral for an opinion on spinal fusion.
- In patients with low back pain, consider referral for a combined physical and psychological treatment programme, comprising around 100 hours over a maximum of 8 weeks, for people who have received at least one less intensive treatment and have high disability and/or significant psychological distress.
- Consider referral for an opinion on spinal fusion for people who have completed an optimal package of care, including a combined physical and psychological treatment programme and still have severe non-specific low back pain for which they would consider surgery.
- Public health
- Therapeutic procedures
- Trauma and orthopaedic surgery
This page was last updated: 22 August 2012