A-Z of patient, carer and public stakeholders
- Sainsbury Centre for Mental Health (SCMH)
The Sainsbury Centre for Mental Health (SCMH) is a charity that works to improve the quality of life for people with severe mental health problems. It carries out research, development and training work to influence policy and practice in health and social care.
Samaritans is a registered charity, founded in 1953, which offers 24-hour confidential emotional support to anyone in emotional distress. The service is offered by 17,000 trained volunteers and is entirely dependent on voluntary support.
- Sarcoma UK
Sarcoma UK and its parent charity The Sarcoma Trust are patient led organisations focussed on information, support, awareness and research which can benefit patients of these very rare cancers. We collaborate closely with other rarer cancer charities and advocacy organisations.
- Schools Health Education Unit (SHEU)
SHEU provides survey, research and publishing services. We work with a wide range of people involved in the planning, providing and commissioning of health and education in the UK and overseas.
Scope's vision is a world where disabled people have the same opportunities to fulfil their life ambitions as non-disabled people.
- Sex Education Forum
We are a unique collaboration of member organisations and practitioner networks. Our core belief is that ALL children and young people are entitled to good quality sex and relationships education in a variety of settings. Our main aim is to work together with members, practitioners and other stakeholders to achieve quality SRE.
- Shelter, the housing and homelessness charty
Shelter believes everyone should have a home. We help people find and keep a home. We campaign for decent housing for all.
- Shingles Support Society (SSS)
Advice and information on shingles and the neurogenic pain that sometimes follows, especially in the elderly. This post-herpetic neuralgia (PHN) can be difficult to treat; we supply a 19-page information pack including 6 pages written for the GP by a consultant neurologist and 2 pages of self-help from other sufferers.
- Skin Care Campaign
The Skin Care Campaign is an umbrella organisation representing all skin conditions and aims to:
- influence improvement in health services
- educate and inform the public, government / DoH, health professionals and others about skin conditions and their treatment
- work with all stakeholders to achieve these objectives
- Sleep Apnoea Trust (SATA)
Sleep Apnoea Trust exists to improve the lives of sleep apnoea patients, their partners and their families, and is managed by unpaid volunteers.
- South Asian Health Foundation (SAHF)
SAHF is a charity established by health care professionals for the South Asian communities in UK.
Our mission statement is to promote improvements in the quality of, and access to, healhcare and health promotion in South Asians and to promote research that leads to the above objectives.
- Sport England
- Sport England is an organisation committed to creating opportunities for people to start in sport, stay in sport and succeed in sport.
- St. John Ambulance
St. John Ambulance is the UK’s leading First Aid, transport and care charity. Its mission is to provide First Aid and medical support services; caring services in support of community needs; and education, training and personal development to young people. As the leading First Aid training provider, St. John Ambulance runs a range of health and safety, First Aid and care courses for children, the general public and the workforce. St. John has around 44,000 volunteers.
Stonewall works to achieve equality and justice for lesbian, gay and bisexual people. We do this through research and policy development, by working with schools and employers to challenge homophobia and discrimination. We run an infomration service which anyone can contact to find out more about LGB rights; 08000 502020.
- Stroke Association, The
The Stroke Association is the only charity solely concerned with helping everyone affected by stroke across the UK. Our vision is to have a world where there fewer strokes and all those touched by stroke get the help they need. Our mission is to prevent strokes and achieve life after stroke by providing services, campaigning, education and research.
- Sustain: the alliance for better food and farming
Sustain advocates food and agriculture policies and practices that enhance the health and welfare of people and animals, improve the working and living environment, enrich society and culture and promote equity. We represent around 100 national public interest organisations working at international, national, regional and local level.
- In September 1998 the North East Regional Round Table for Sustainable Development was established to provide a regional focus for the sustainable development agenda in the North East. It operates under the name of Sustainability North East, or Sustaine. Its aims are to inform, influence, inspire and assist individuals and organisations within the North East to achieve a better quality of life for everyone, now and for generations to come.
- Syncope Trust and Reflex Anoxic Seizures (STARS)
STARS works together with individuals, families and medical professionals to offer support and information on Syncope and Reflex Anoxic Seizures. STARS' aim is to ensure that anyone presenting with unexplained loss of consciousness receives the correct diagnosis, the appropriate treatment, informed support and sign posting to the appropriate medical professional.