This consultation closes:
16th November 2017
NICE has launched a 6 week public consultation on proposed amendments to the technology appraisal (TA) process.
We want to hear your views and receive feedback on these proposals.
NICE is proposing amendments to the TA process to enable more topics to be processed through the current 4 appraisal committees. Increasing demand means that the current appraisal process will be unable to cope with the number of appraisals the Institute will be asked to undertake, within the next two years.
The proposed adjustments retain the familiar elements of the current single technology appraisals (STA), while aligning them more efficiently.
Summary of proposals
- Provide clear, recognisable milestones for companies and other stakeholders, linking them to key stages in regulatory pathways. This should allow more time for NICE to engage with companies early in the appraisal process.
- Release capacity for the appraisal committees as more of the scientific and technical elements are pulled forward into the workup of topics. This should allow us to publish up to 75 appraisals, using the same committee resource that is now available.
- Enhance our ability to deliver the ambitions set out in the Accelerated Access Review and the emerging Life Sciences Strategy, when required to do so.
How to comment
Feedback and events
Please use the consultation pro-forma (word) to provide your comments and any additional general feedback on the consultation.
During the consultation we will be holding a webinar and a face-to-face consultation event to discuss the proposals in more detail and answer queries about them.
- 10am, Wednesday 11 October 2017 (register for this webinar)
- 1pm, Wednesday 25 October 2017 (central Manchester)
The webinar and face-to-face event will not be formal parts of the consultation but we will be gathering feedback from them to inform the final proposals.