A new care models programme was launched in March 2015 to close the gaps identified in the Five Year Forward View (5YFV). We worked with new care models to inform their development and spread their learning.
We sponsored 4 of the vanguard sites:
- Sutton Homes of Care
- Connecting Care, Wakefield
- Better Together, Mid Nottinghamshire
- Encompass (Whitstable, Faversham and Canterbury).
Sutton Homes of Care
This led to:
- improved communication and relationships between hospital and care homes
- hospital staff finding health information about the care home resident quickly
- smoother admission and discharge processes
- better person-centred care for the residents.
Connecting Care, Wakefield
Wakefield care homes vanguard has improved the quality of care of its residents by bringing services together.
A NICE consultant worked with them to find the right guidance for them. We also supported with workshops and attended meetings with care home managers. This helped to raise awareness of the value of using our tools to develop and deliver their programme.
This led to:
- a multidisciplinary team using NICE resources
- fewer A&E visits and admissions
- bed days dropping by more than a third.
NICE guidelines have helped this project by showcasing best practice and providing neutral territory for us as an organisation to agree on good quality care.Viccie Nelson, Care Home Director at NHS Sutton Clinical Commissioning Group on Sutton Homes of Care
We value NICE’s role as a sponsor, and its input in ensuring that our project is based on evidence-based guidance and standards.Janice James, Director at Provider Alliance on Wakefield Connecting Care.