Do Not Do Recommendation
Do not routinely measure calcium, Phosphate, parathyroid hormone (PTH) and vitamin D levels in people with a GFR of 30 ml/min/1.73 m2 or more (GFR category G1, G2 or G3).
Do Not Do Recommendation Details
- Do not routinely measure calcium, Phosphate, parathyroid hormone (PTH) and vitamin D levels in people with a GFR of 30 ml/min/1.73 m2 or more (GFR category G1, G2 or G3).
- calcium, Phosphate, parathyroid hormone (PTH) and vitamin D levels
Source guidance details
- Chronic kidney disease early identification and management of chronic kidney disease in adults in primary and secondary care (CG182)
- Published date:
- July 2014
- Paragraph number:
- Page number:
View all NICE do not do from this Guidance
- Do not diagnose CKD in people with: an eGFRcreatinine of 45–59 ml/min/1.73 m2 and an eGFRcystatinC of more than 60 ml/min/1.73 m2 and no other marker of kidney disease.
- Do not use reagent strips to identify proteinuria unless they are capable of specifically measuring albumin at low concentrations and expressing the result as an ACR.
- Do not use urine microscopy to confirm a reagent strip positive result when testing for the presence of haematuria.
- Do not use age, gender or ethnicity as risk markers to test people for CKD.
- In the absence of metabolic syndrome, diabetes or Hypertension, do not use obesity alone as a risk marker to test people for CKD.
- Do not determine management of CKD solely by age.
- Do not offer low-protein diets (dietary protein intake less than 0.6–0.8 g/kg/day) to people with CKD.
- Do not offer a combination of renin–angiotensin system antagonists to people with CKD.
- Do not routinely offer a renin–angiotensin system antagonist to people with CKD if their pretreatment serum potassium concentration is greater than 5.0 mmol/litre.
- Do not routinely offer vitamin D supplementation to manage or prevent CKD–mineral and bone disorders.
Do not modify the renin–angiotensin system antagonist dose if the change in eGFR is less than 25% or the change in serum creatinine is less than 30%.