After a first seizure

After a first seizure

If it is suspected that you have had a seizure, you should be assessed by a healthcare professional. This is likely to be a doctor at the hospital emergency department or it could be your GP. If they think that you may have had an epileptic seizure, you should be offered an urgent appointment with a specialist. An urgent appointment should take place within 2 weeks.


For an adult, the specialist should be a doctor with training and expertise in diagnosing and treating epilepsy.

For a child or young person, the specialist should be a doctor who treats and cares for children (a paediatrician) and who has also had special training in diagnosing and treating epilepsy.

While you are waiting for your appointment with the specialist, you and your family or carer should be given information about how to recognise a seizure and what to do if you have another one. This should include advice about first aid. You should be advised to contact a healthcare professional if you do have another seizure before you have been seen by a specialist.

  • Information Standard