Research recommendation(s) from an individual piece of guidance
- Irritable bowel syndrome in adults: diagnosis and management
- Date issued:
Research recommendations coming out of this guidance
- Psychological interventions:- Are the psychological interventions [cognitive behavioural therapy] (CBT), hypnotherapy and psychological therapy all equally effective in the management of [Irritable bowel syndrome] (IBS) symptoms, either as first-line therapies in primary care, or in the treatment of people with IBS that is refractory to other treatments?
- Refractory [Irritable bowel syndrome] (IBS):- What factors contribute to refractory IBS?
- Relaxation and biofeedback:- What is the effect of relaxation and biofeedback therapies on [Irritable bowel syndrome] (IBS) symptoms and patient-related outcomes?
- Herbal medicines:- Are Chinese and non-Chinese herbal medicines safe and effective as first-line therapy in the treatment of [Irritable bowel syndrome] (IBS), and which is the most effective and safe option?