About this information

NICE clinical guidelines advise the NHS on caring for people with specific conditions or diseases and the treatments they should receive. The information applies to people using the NHS in England and Wales.

This information explains the advice about how healthcare professionals should recognise and diagnose a stroke or a transient ischaemic attack (also called a TIA) in adults and about early care and treatment of adults after a stroke or a transient ischaemic attack that is set out in NICE clinical guidelineĀ 68.

Does this information apply to me?

Yes, if you have had a stroke or a TIA, or are the family or carer of someone who has had a stroke or a TIA.

No, if you:

  • have had a type of bleeding in the brain called a subarachnoid haemorrhage

  • are being treated for a medical condition (such as high blood pressure) that might have caused you to have a stroke or a TIA

  • are aged 16 or under.