Your care team

Your care team

A range of professionals who specialise in different areas of treatment or support may be involved in your care. These could include specialists in ADHD such as doctors, learning disability specialists, social workers and occupational therapists, as well as paediatricians and child psychiatrists for children and young people with ADHD. All of these professionals will be trained and experienced in providing particular treatments or support.

Working with you

Your care team should talk with you about ADHD. They should explain any tests, treatments or support you should be offered so that you can decide together what is best for you. Your family or carer can be involved in helping to make decisions, but only if you agree. If you are a child or young person, your parent or carer may be involved in helping to make decisions depending on your age. There are questions throughout this information that you can use to help you talk with your care team.

You may also like to read NICE's information for the public on patient experience in adult NHS services and service user experience in adult mental health. These set out what adults should be able to expect when they use the NHS. We also have more information on the NICE website about using health and social care services.

Some treatments or care described here may not be suitable for you. If you think that your treatment does not match this advice, talk to your care team.

  • Information Standard