We use the best available evidence to develop recommendations that guide decisions in health, public health and social care.
Critical assessment of evidence to help you make decisions. Advice, rather than formal NICE guidance.
- New advice in the last 6 months (0)
- Updated advice in the last 6 months (0)
- In development advice (0)
Set out priority areas for quality improvement in health and social care.
- New quality standards in the last 6 months (0)
- Updated quality standards in the last 6 months (0)
- In development quality standards (0)
Interactive topic-based flowcharts that allow you to navigate our recommendations on any subject.
Guidance by programme
Advice by programme
Products being developed or updated
Comment on guidance in development
Current guidance in consultation
Join a committee
Our committees and working groups help to develop our guidance, standards, advice and other resources.
News and blogs
News on this topic
These two guidelines set out an antimicrobial prescribing strategy that aims to optimise antibiotic use and reduce antibiotic resistance.
Healthcare professionals should consider the risk of antimicrobial resistance when deciding whether antibiotics are needed for treating or preventing a flare up of symptoms of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
People who incorrectly believe they are allergic to penicillin are unnecessarily put at an increased risk of developing MRSA or C difficile, NICE warns today.
Blogs on this topic
Rosie explains how new NICE guidance will help us all in the fight against antibiotic resistance
Di has been working hard to teach her students about the importance of hand-washing. Find out how she has got on.
Putting guidance into practice
Examples of how our guidance and standards have been put into practice in the NHS, local authorities, voluntary sector and a range of other organisations.
Showing 3 of 7 shared learning examples for this topic:
When should we prescribe antibiotics?
In this podcast:
- We chat to Dr Tessa Lewis, Chair of the NICE antimicrobial prescribing guidance committee. We also talk to John Morris, a lay expert.
- Diana Ashiru-Oredope from Public Health England explains why antimicrobial resistance is so important and how pharmacists can help.