Call for evidence
What we need
We are evaluating the following review question:
What are the long-term health effects of e-cigarette use?
We need the following information for the guideline we are developing on Tobacco. Evidence which:
- compares long-term health effects of those who use e-cigarettes with those who do not use e-cigarettes, where smoking is evenly distributed across groups (either non-smokers, smokers, or ex-smokers) AND
- reports health effects at minimum 1 year after use started AND
- is longitudinal and has a control group (for example, randomised controlled trials, non-randomised controlled trials, controlled before-and-after studies, cohort studies with control groups, case control studies).
We require data reporting long-term health effects using a validated measure, or risk factors for disease.
We are particularly interested in information promoting equality of opportunity relating to age, disability, gender, gender identity, ethnicity, religion and belief sexual orientation or socio-economic status.
We would like:
- unpublished information meeting the above criteria, including any ongoing research or commercial information
- published information.
We cannot accept promotional material, non-evidence-based assertions of effectiveness or opinion pieces. Please see the Call for evidence request document for full details.
You should ensure that any data or publications you wish to submit:
- Directly address the review question listed
- Meet the data criteria
For published information, send only the details (to include author/s, title, date, journal or publication details, including volume and issue number, and page numbers). Do not send a pdf/Word document or paper copy.
For unpublished information, send:
- a link to any relevant trials registered with the Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials, or with the US National Institutes of Health trials registry
- paper or electronic copies of other relevant unpublished information.
Highlight any confidential sections (unpublished research or commercially sensitive information) in unpublished information. For more details about this, see our guidelines manual.
Complete the Call for evidence response form including the declaration of any links with, or funding from, the tobacco industry, and the Checklist for Confidentiality information form, Email PHAC@NICE.org.uk these forms with any relevant information by 5pm on Thursday, 30th January 2020.
Send paper copies to:
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence
We look forward to receiving information and thank you in advance for your help.
This page was last updated: