Research recommendation(s) from an individual piece of guidance
- Episcissors-60 for mediolateral episiotomy
- Date issued:
Research recommendations coming out of this guidance
Episcissors-60 show promise for mediolateral episiotomy. But there is currently not enough evidence to support the case for routine adoption in the NHS.
Research is recommended to address uncertainties about the efficacy and safety of using Episcissors-60. This research should:
- determine if using Episcissors-60 in addition to other care bundle measures is more effective in achieving an optimal episiotomy angle and in preventing episiotomy-related obstetric anal sphincter injuries (OASI) than standard episiotomy scissors
- include patient-reported outcome measures
- address potential equality considerations by ensuring patients at greatest risk of OASI are recruited
- determine the relative cost of using Episcissors-60 compared with standard episiotomy scissors.