Preventing the uptake of smoking by children and young people: review consultation
A review is being undertaken to decide whether the public health ‘Guidance on preventing the uptake of smoking by children and young people’ should be updated.
All registered stakeholders are invited to comment on the provisional review decision via this website during a 2 week consultation with stakeholders.
Organsiations not registered as stakeholders are not able to comment. For further information about how your organisation can become a stakeholder.
Please note - the provisional review decision presented here does not constitute NICE’s formal decision on this topic. The decision is provisional and may change after consultation.
This consultation will take place between 15 June 2011 - 29 June 2011.
This is a brief summary of how NICE reviews published public health guidance:
1. Stakeholders register interest
Relevant stakeholders are asked to register for the topic under review. Stakeholders are consulted as part of the review process.
Read more about stakeholder registration.
2. Review process begins
A meeting is held with an expert panel consisting of members of the original advisory committee that developed the guidance. They will consider whether there is any significant new evidence which has emerged or any significant changes in service configuration since publication which would lead to the need to reconsider the original recommendations.
3. Review proposal prepared
The proposal will outline a summary of the key factors that have influenced the decision.
4. Consultation on the review proposal
This is a period for registered stakeholders to comment on the review proposal and feed back into the final review decision.
5. Final proposal produced
The NICE Guidance Executive makes the final determination on whether NICE will be updating the guidance on the basis of any new evidence, and changes to service configuration and stakeholder feedback
6. Review decision issued
NICE formalises the review decision on the website.
How to submit your comments
Please provide any comments on the draft review proposal using the Stakeholder Comments Form (ensuring all relevant fields are completed, including your organisation's name). Please forward the form by Wednesday 29 June 2011 at the very latest to firstname.lastname@example.org
If a stakeholder wishes to draw our attention to published literature, please supply the full reference.
The Institute is unable to accept:
- More than one response per stakeholder organisation
- Comments received after the consultation deadline
- Comments that are not completed on a stakeholder comments form
- Confidential information or other material that you would not wish to be made public
- Comments forms with attachments such as research articles, letters or leaflets. If comments forms do have attachments they will be returned without being read. If the stakeholder resubmits the form without attachments, it must be by the consultation deadline.
What will happen to your comments?
- All comments (with the exception of personal, individual comments and late comments) will be sent to the project team at the end of the consultation
- Comments from registered stakeholders will be formally responded to by the project team and posted on the NICE website after the final guidance is published.
- No action will be taken upon receipt of personal, individual comments and late comments.
- You should receive an automated acknowledgement from the email box when you email your comments. If you do not receive this acknowledgement, please contact Sarah Hull to ensure your comments have been safely received.
PLEASE NOTE: The Institute reserves the right to summarise and edit comments received during consultations, or not to publish them at all, where in the reasonable opinion of the Institute, the comments are voluminous, publication would be unlawful or publication would be otherwise inappropriate.
Anticipated review decision date: September 2011
This page was last updated: 13 October 2011