This guidance is for all those who are involved in promoting physical activity among children and young people, including parents and carers.
The NICE recommendations give advice on:
- how to promote the benefits of physical activity and encourage participation
- high level strategic planning
- the importance of consultation with children and young people and how to set about it
- planning and providing spaces, facilities and opportunities
- training people to run programmes and activities
- how to promote physically active travel such as cycling and walking.
The guidance is specifically aimed at the following organisations:
- Children's trusts and services
- Community and voluntary groups (running sports and other organised activities)
- Early years providers
- Government departments
- Local authorities (leisure and related services, transport and planning, regeneration)
- Local strategic partnerships
- Organisations offering practitioners education and training
- The police
- Primary care trusts
- Private sector providers
- Schools and colleges.