This guidance makes recommendations on lifestyle weight management (sometimes called tier 2) services for overweight and obese children and young people aged under 18. These services are just one part of a comprehensive approach to preventing and treating obesity.
The recommendations are for commissioners in local authorities and the NHS and providers of community-based services that take a ‘lifestyle’ approach to helping overweight or obese children and young people manage their weight. They are also for health professionals and people working with children and young people as well as members of the public.
The recommendations cover:
- planning services
- commissioning programmes
- core components of lifestyle weight management programmes
- developing a tailored programme plan to meet individual needs
- encouraging adherence
- raising awareness of programmes
- formal referrals to programmes
- providing ongoing support
- programme staff: training, knowledge and skills
- training in how to make programme referrals
- supporting programme staff and those making programme referrals
- monitoring and evaluating programmes.