We support the involvement of people who use services, carers, members of the public and organisations who represent their interests across NICE.
Our public involvement work is underpinned by two key principles:
- People who use services, carers, the public, and voluntary and community sector organisations are able to help develop our guidance and other products and support putting them into practice.
- Our guidance and other products are focused around the people most directly affected by our recommendations and are relevant to them.
We're here to:
Provide guidance on ways of involving people who use services, carers and members of the public to NICE and our collaborators.
Support voluntary and community sector organisations who want to get involved in our work.
Provide training and support to individuals who want to contribute directly to our work.
Highlight areas of our guidance of particular importance to people who use services, carers and members of the public.
Offer advice on issues relevant to people who use services, carers and members of the public which occur throughout the development of our guidance.
Evaluate our work to make sure it achieves our aims.
I’ve worked with several health organisations and the PIP has stood out for the way it supports lay members.
Training provided was good, timely and relevant. PIP staff supported lay members, understood concerns and actively advocated for lay members.
Lay member feedback
Public involvement policy
Our policy sets out:
- our commitment and approaches to public involvement
- the principles of our approach to involving people who use services, carers and the public
- the support available to individuals, and voluntary and community sector organisations involved with our work.
NICE equality scheme
We are committed to promoting equality in all aspects of our work.
In our equality objectives we have prioritised increasing the proportion of applications to our committees from people who describe themselves as from black, Asian and minority ethnic groups.
Improving the way we work with you
We've listened to comments from over 100 organisations and individuals. These have been invaluable in refining new proposals on improving the way we engage with you.
Public involvement 2018-19
Want to know more? Read our annual review (Word doc)
Our guide provides an overview of the principles that we work to, along with details of our practical approach to certain tasks.
NICE’s approach to public involvement in guidance and standards: a practical guide (PDF)