1. The following databases were searched from start to September 2015 using the keyword "AdenoPlus": Ovid MEDLINE(R) In‑Process & Other Non‑Indexed Citations and Ovid MEDLINE(R); Embase (via OVID); Cochrane Library; CAB Abstracts; Web of Science Science Citation Index.
These citations were sifted to identify any relevant material, using the inclusion criteria in the Evidence selection section.
2. The internet was searched using the above keywords.
3. ClinicalTrials.gov, WHO ICTRP, and Current Controlled Trials were also searched for ongoing trials.
4. Information provided by the manufacturer in supporting this briefing was checked to identify any further information.
5. The manufacturer's website was thoroughly investigated.
6. Information provided by the manufacturer was thoroughly checked for relevant studies.
The inclusion criteria were as follows:
Population: adults and children presenting to primary care, emergency or ophthalmology settings with signs and symptoms of conjunctivitis.
Intervention: AdenoPlus POC test.
Comparator: viral cell culture (CC) with confirmatory immunofluorescence assay (IFA), or polymerase chain reaction (PCR).
positive predictive value
negative predictive value
time to diagnosis of adenoviral conjunctivitis
Study type: published clinical studies. Proof‑of‑concept, bench‑top or basic science studies were excluded. Non‑English language studies were excluded.