Information for the public

Information and support

You and your family or carers should be given information including details of the healthcare professionals involved in your care, their role and contact details; copies of correspondence about your care; and a list of medications and equipment for your urinary problem.

If you are having care for your urinary problem in a specialist unit you should be given contact details so that you can obtain specialist urinary advice and information.

You and your family or carers should be offered information, training and support if you are starting to use a urinary management system, such as a catheter (see Treatment for problems with bladder emptying). This should be specific to your particular needs and should encourage you to be involved in your own care.

If you are using products such as catheters, appliances or pads, suitable products for your needs should be available, you should receive training and support in how to use them and you should have your products reviewed every few years by a healthcare professional with knowledge of the products available.

You should be told how to get further support and information from a healthcare professional, if you need it.

Moving from child services to adult services

If you are being transferred from child to adult services for continuing care of your urinary problem, clear arrangements should be made to transfer your care, and you and your family and carers should be involved in the arrangements at an early stage. A plan should be made to ensure that the services that you need are continued into adult care, and this should be checked after your care has been transferred.

You and your healthcare professional in adult services should be given a complete summary of your previous and current care, and you should be given the names and contact details of the key healthcare professionals who will look after you in adult services (such as the urologist and specialist nurses).

In some cases, specialists from child and adult services may meet regularly to discuss the management of your urinary condition during the years leading up to transfer and after entering adult services.

  • Information Standard