Information for the public



An assessment is a meeting with healthcare professionals to find out if you have a mental health problem and which treatments might be most suitable. These professionals should include a psychiatrist, psychologist or a professional who specialises in psychological therapy for people with psychosis or schizophrenia.

If you are at risk of developing psychosis, you should be assessed at a specialist mental health service or an early intervention service.

If you have a first episode of psychosis, you should be assessed at an early intervention service.

The healthcare professionals should ask you about your life, your thoughts, feelings and behaviour, your general health and wellbeing, and your mental health. They should carry out a physical examination and check for any health problems. In particular, they should check for mental health problems such as post-traumatic stress disorder, depression and anxiety, and problems with drugs or alcohol.

They should develop a care plan with you (with details of your treatment and support) as soon as possible after the assessment, and give you a copy.

  • Information Standard