Information for the public

About this information

NICE guidelines provide advice on the care and support that should be offered to people who use health and care services.

This information explains the advice about irritable bowel syndrome that is set out in NICE guideline CG61.

This is an update of advice on irritable bowel syndrome that NICE produced in 2008. Some of the information in the sections on when you should be offered further advice on diet and medicines for irritable bowel syndrome was updated in 2015.

Does this information apply to me?

Yes, if you are an adult who has irritable bowel syndrome.

No, if you:

  • are under 18

  • have any other gastrointestinal disorder such as non‑ulcer dyspepsia (indigestion with no obvious cause) or coeliac disease.