This guideline covers good practice for developing and updating local formularies in line with statutory requirements. It supports developing formularies that reflect local needs, reduce variation in prescribing, and allow rapid adoption of new medicines and treatments.
In October 2015, changes to recommendations 1.3.5, 1.10.2 and 1.15.6 were made to reflect the need to consider local workload and resources.
This guideline includes recommendations on:
- the local formulary scope
- the local formulary decision-making group
- adopting medicines recommended by NICE technology appraisals
- setting decision criteria
- gathering evidence and information
- deliberating, reaching and documenting decisions
- reviewing and updating the local formulary
Who is it for?
- People involved in handling, prescribing and commissioning medicines within the NHS
- Patients and their families and carers
Is this guideline up to date?
We have checked this guideline and are proposing not to update. We are consulting on this proposal.