Information for the public

Moving to adults' services: information for young people with cerebral palsy

Moving to adults' services: information for young people with cerebral palsy

This section is aimed at young people with cerebral palsy, but will also be of interest to parents and carers.

Care and support to help you live with cerebral palsy will carry on as you get older, and there will come a time when your care will move from children's to adults' services. This move is called 'transition'. There may be more than 1 transition happening in your life as things change – you may be about to go to college or starting to live more independently – and this may also affect your care.

NICE's advice about moving from children's to adult's services has a lot more information on transition.

What care and advice should I expect?

Your care team should help you choose someone to be your main contact. This person is called a 'named worker'. They should be one of the professionals you know already (such as your GP, a nurse, a therapist or a social worker) and get on well with. They will act as a link between you and people from other services who support you. You should be able to go to them with any worries or questions. They will help you understand what your care and support options will be after you move to adults' services.

It is important that this move is planned well in advance and carried out carefully, so that you and your family feel prepared and have all the information you need. The timing will depend on your particular needs, and should be agreed with you and your family. Your named worker should help you make a plan for your transition – this should set out what is important to you, things you can do and things you would like to do in the future. All your needs should be thought about, especially those to do with learning and communication.

All your different needs should already be recorded and kept up to date in your personal file (see sharing information). Using this will help to make sure nothing is forgotten during your transition. It's also important for the professionals supporting you to bear in mind that your needs are likely to change over time.

You should be told who will be looking after you in adults' services – you should still have care from professionals who are experts in supporting people with cerebral palsy. Your GP should be involved in your care before, during and after transition.

Questions you or your parent or carer may want to ask

  • When will my care move to adults' services? Can I wait if I'm not ready?

  • When will we start planning transition?

  • How will my care change after I move?

  • What services will be available to me as an adult?

  • Can you give me some information to read about transition?

  • Who will my named worker be? Can I choose who they are?

  • What will my named worker do?

  • How will my GP be involved?

  • Information Standard