What has NICE said?

NICE recommends aflibercept injection as a possible treatment for some people with wet age-related macular degeneration.

Who can have aflibercept injection?

You should be able to have aflibercept injection as long as it is used in the same way that NICE recommends that ranibizumab (another drug for wet age-related macular degeneration) is used in its guidance Pegaptanib and ranibizumab for the treatment of age-related macular degeneration (see http://guidance.nice.org.uk/TA155)

What does this mean for me?

When NICE recommends a treatment, the NHS must make sure it is available to those people it could help, normally within 3 months of the guidance being issued.

So, if you have wet age-related macular degeneration, and you and your doctor think that aflibercept injection is the right treatment for you, you should be able to have the treatment on the NHS.

If you are not eligible for treatment, you should be able to continue taking aflibercept injection until you and your doctor decide it is the right time to stop.

  • Information Standard