Abemaciclib (Verzenios), with an aromatase inhibitor, is available on the NHS. It is a possible option for adults who have locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer that:
- is hormone receptor-positive and human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2)‑negative, and
- has not been treated with endocrine therapy before.
Is this treatment right for me?
Your healthcare professionals should give you clear information, talk with you about your options and listen carefully to your views and concerns. Your family can be involved too, if you wish. Read more about making decisions about your care.
Questions to think about
- How well does it work compared with other treatments?
- What are the risks or side effects? How likely are they?
- How will the treatment affect my day-to-day life?
- What happens if the treatment does not work?
- What happens if I do not want to have treatment? Are there other treatments available?
Information and support
These organisations can give you advice and support:
- Breast Cancer Now, 0333 207 0300
- Breast Cancer Care, 0808 800 6000
- Macmillan Cancer Support, 0808 808 0000
- Cancer Research UK Patient Information, 0808 800 4040
You can also get support from your local Healthwatch.
NICE is not responsible for the quality or accuracy of any information or advice provided by these organisations.
This page was last updated: 27 February 2019