Research recommendation(s) from an individual piece of guidance
- Fertility problems: assessment and treatment
- Date issued:
Research recommendations coming out of this guidance
- Expectant management before IVF:- What is the optimum period of expectant management for women of different age groups before invasive treatment such as IVF is considered?
- Embryo selection for single embryo transfer:- Further research is needed to improve embryo selection to facilitate single embryo transfers.
- Adjuvant luteal phase support treatments in IVF:- Further research is needed to assess the efficacy of adjuvant luteal phase support treatments such as low-dose aspirin, heparin, prednisolone, immunoglobulins and/or fat emulsions.
- Long-term safety of ovarian stimulation and ovulation induction for women:- Is there an association between ovulation induction or ovarian stimulation and adverse long-term (over 20 years) effects in women in the UK?
- Long-term effects of IVF with or without intracytoplasmic sperm injection in children:- What are the long-term (over 20 years) effects of IVF with or without intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) in children in the UK?
- People who are concerned about their fertility should be informed that the effectiveness of complementary therapies for fertility problems has not been properly evaluated and that further research is needed before such interventions can be recommended. 
- The effectiveness of pulsatile gonadotrophin-releasing hormone in women with clomifene citrate-resistant polycystic ovary syndrome is uncertain and is therefore not recommended outside a research context.