Information for the public

Treatment for children and young people

Treatment for children and young people

You should be offered treatment where you feel most comfortable, for example, at home or in school or a community centre. If possible, you should be offered appointments that fit around your school or social activities.

You should be offered a psychological therapy called cognitive behavioural therapy ('CBT' for short). You should have this therapy either on your own with a professional called a therapist, or in a group with a therapist and other children and young people with social anxiety disorder who are of a similar age to you. Your parents may also be involved so that they can help you. The therapist should give you information about social anxiety disorder and discuss it with you. They should also help you get used to doing things with other people that you feel scared about. You should meet 8 to 12 times for an hour and a half each time if you meet in a group and for 45 minutes if you meet with a therapist on your own.

If you are aged 15 or older, your health or social care professional may offer you psychological therapies that were developed for adults, if they are more suitable for you. These are described in Treatments for adults.

Treatments you should not be offered

You should not usually be offered either of the following:

  • medication

  • St John's wort or other preparations that can be bought from health-food shops, herbalists and pharmacies without a prescription

You should not be offered either of the following:

  • Information Standard