Information for the public

Your care

A range of professionals may be involved in caring for you in pregnancy and the year after birth. These could include doctors, specialist nurses, midwives, psychologists and health visitors. They should work together so that:

  • your care is coordinated

  • treatment is available when you need it

  • information is shared among professionals and with you (and your partner, family and carers, if you agree), and

  • your mental health is taken into account when planning your care.

Working with you

The professionals involved in your care should talk with you about mental health problems in pregnancy and the year after giving birth. They should explain any treatments or support you should be offered so that you can decide together what is best for you and your baby. Your partner, family or carer can be involved in helping to make decisions, but only if you agree. Depending on your circumstances, your parent or carer may be involved in helping to make decisions. There is a list of questions to help you talk with your healthcare professional.

You may also like to read NICE's information for the public on patient experience in adult NHS services and service user experience in adult mental health. These set out what adults should be able to expect when they use the NHS. We also have more information on the NICE website about using health and social care services.

  • Information Standard